Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Day 40 - Rain Delay

I woke up yesterday to pouring rain and thunderstorms. The rain usually wouldn't deter me....but the thunder and lightening did! So I laid in bed trying to figure out what to do.... The indoor track that I sometimes use was closed for the holiday and I don't have a treadmill. I finally decided to do a 45 minute cardio workout with Jillian. I haven't been doing my Jillian Michael's videos like I used to, so it was a definite workout! It was nice to use different muscles. It was also fun to try out the heart rate monitor that goes along with my watch. I still had massive guilt as the day went on about missing my 5 mile run that morning. I called my Dad that night to get his opinion (which I really already knew) and he advised that "there's no substitute for getting the miles in". Spoken like a true marathoner! So I decided I would just run Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday-Saturday this week. Works out well because Brady starts preschool on Wednesday and I've taken the day off to take him and pick him up. Otherwise I was looking at a 5am wake up call to run, get to work, come back and pick Braden up to take him to school and then go back to work. I was tired just thinking about that scenario....but I wasn't going to miss his first day of school. He's so excited this year!! So with all my running days off from work, I decided to trudge through them.

Today's 8-mile run went well. I didn't set my pace alarms on my watch, and I was definitely slower. It was also much more humid this morning though. I had a few aches and pains during the run, so I iced my shins/legs twice today. I felt almost completely recovered from the long run on Saturday. Perhaps taking yesterday off from running was a good thing! I've never run 3 days in a row (ever!) so I'm sure by Thursday I'll be feeling it.
We continue to make plans for the marathon weekend. I can't believe it's so close! We made reservations at Buca di Beppo for the night before the marathon. It sounds like most of our family (and a few friends) will be there to cheer us on. I'm not too excited about having the kids stay in our hotel room the night before the marathon....but I'm not sure the grandparents want them in their room, either! I might just have to make the kids shirts to wear for race day. I remember seeing kids along the course of the HM and it was so cool! It would be nice if I didn't have to do it....but I doubt anyone else would think to do it. Any ideas for the kids' shirts? Well, in less than 7 hours I need to be up to run, so I'm gonna sign off and try to get some sleep!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

i'm bad about trying to make up miles whenever i miss a run/have to cut a run short. i agree with pops for the most part, but sometimes you do need to just let some miles go. ie, when you're 10 miles short and tell yourself "sure i can do a 24 mile long run this weekend instead"... :)

hope the running is going well and the weather is cooperating!