Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day 8 - "Humidity"

I knew saying that today was going to be an "easy" day would bite me in the butt. I woke up to overcast skies, 74 degrees, with 89% humidity. I also woke up to an ominous belly. Never good on a running day! Note to self: pizza is not safe the night before a run. Maybe by the time I run this marathon, I will have figured out what exactly I can tolerate the night before. Because we were going to be running in an area that was not so "restroom friendly" I opted to take a half tablet of Immodium....just in case. I was also running with my amphipod, with a mixture of 40% gatorade/ 60% water, for the first time and just wasn't sure how my GI system would handle that. You see, I had quite the issues while training for my Half. I didn't take any water or gatorade until mile 8 and then not again until mile 11. Not very smart, but I was just so worried about having to stop and use the restroom. I should have been worried about dehydration. But I digress! So my sister and I took off for the UD/Old River loop. The first few miles were downhill and not bad. As soon as we leveled off though, I could just tell I was a bit "off". We kept on moving though until we started up a hill - 1 mile in distance, with an elevation change of 244 ft. 1/3 of the way up I just had to walk. I was starting to wheeze (had forgotten to use my inhaler) and I felt bad. So we walked a 1/3 of the hill and then ran the final 1/3. It's weird because although my legs felt a bit heavy going up the hills, my body otherwise felt great - no shin pain, no glute pain, no knee pain. It was my lungs and breathing that limited me today. It's days like this that I really begin to doubt myself. Of course after the fact, the run never seems as bad....and talking with hubby about M-day, I get all excited and re-motivated. So in total, we did 6 miles.
When we got home, the kiddos were waiting for us. My sister came in for some water and then went on home to get on with her day. We had some time to fill before the family pictures, so hubby and I loaded the kids up in the double stroller and ran another 0.3 miles to the market for some much-deserved donuts and coffee. The kids love when I run and push them in the double stroller. They don't really like when I walk/push them, though. On the way home, Braden decided he wanted to "run like Mommy". And wouldn't you know, that little guy ran the entire way his crocs. At one point he told me "Mommy, I can't breathe!" and I asked him if he need to take a break. His response "No Mommy! No breaks!" The kid is hardcore already at 4 years old. I'm so glad my running has inspired him to exercise and "get all sweaty" as he says! I'm hoping hubby will be able to be at the finish line with the kids. Having them there will mean everything, and if they could cross the finish line with me, even better! So with week #2 in the books....I'm off for some family time and a break from bloggy world!

1 comment:

Marlene said...

Nice job on the run, and good for Braden - someone is rubbing off on him. :)