Sunday, August 16, 2009

Day 28 - Flow

Yesterday was a great run! I don't know if it was proper nutrition/hydration, a positive attitude, the flat route or if things are finally coming together for me? I'm sure it was a bit of everything and it couldn't have come at a better time (mentally). In any case, I arrived bright and early at my sister's house, a little before 6:00am. It was dark and cool out with a bit of fog on the ground when we started out. My sister had mapped out a 12 mile route. Due to a little map confusion (aka we got lost) Garmin (or G Money as I like to call her) clocked us at 12.63 miles. I took a Roctane GU pack about 30 minutes before the run with about 6 ounces of water. I also decided to use my inhaler proactively (novel idea for someone with exercise-induced asthma). 45 minutes into the run I took another GU pack. I ran with plain water in my hand-held bottle. I stopped after another 45 minutes and took another GU pack. I've been finding that my water bottle is empty after my second GU pack. Guess it's time to start double-fisting it. I just can't convey in words how good I felt yesterday. I felt like a real runner, who could maybe, just possibly, reach her goal of finishing a marathon. I felt great all day yesterday, no aches or pains. I wasn't even that tired. Today my hamstrings are a bit sore, but nothing major. It must have been coincidence because in this week's chapter of TNRMT it talks about finding your "flow" zone. Perhaps I found my flow?
This week we have a 4 miler-6 miler - 4 miler - 14 miler. Our 3rd week at 25 miles or more. This is a lot for me....considering 6 months ago I was maybe doing 10-15 miles/week. This Saturday we'll be in Columbus for the weekend so I plan on running on the actual marathon course. Hubby's going to bring his bike and keep me company on the 14-miler. Oh yeah, did I mention this will be my farthest distance.....ever?! I'm hoping I can find my flow then....I have a feeling I'm going to need it!

1 comment:

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

SWEET!! My best friend roder her bike next to me on many of my longs runs in prep for my first Marathon. Word of advice just keep running on the hills, he will catch up :)

Best of luck on your LONGEST distance. Celebrate each accomplishment, it makes the training so much more fun!