Thursday, November 19, 2009

What motivates you?

A few weeks ago I posted about all the negative thoughts that were running through my mind that day.  We've all had runs like that.  Today as I was running, I was thinking about all the things that keep me going.  I've been struggling to get out of bed in the mornings, which is completely silly because I always feel 100 times better after I've gotten up and exercised.  Although I was logging way more miles during the marathon training, I was only exercising 4 (sometimes 5 ) days a week.  Getting up at the crack of dawn 6 days a week is dragging me down!  I need some motivation....so without further ado....this is what keeps me moving during those cold, dark, morning runs.

1.  If I just keep running, I'll stay warmer
2.  Seeing other runners/walkers (although today it was in the mid-40's and every dog walker was out....I kinda wish they'd just stay at home.  Don't they know I run with a crazy dingo who really doesn't like other dogs??)
3.  I have to be home by X:XX am in order for hubby to get to work on time!
4.  Seeing people smoking in their cars at stop lights (random)
5.  Passing people at the bus stops
6.  A good song (currently it's Beyonce's Single Ladies)
7.  Running a new route
8.  Having a race on the schedule (I'm doing the Thanksgiving day 5 miler and just registered for the Arthritis Foundation 5K in December)
9. Thinking about what I'm going to have for breakfast (lame, I know)
10.  The sooner I get home, the sooner I can snuggle in bed with my kiddos

9 comments:

Molly said...

most of the time it's music that keeps me motivated, lately Lady Gaga is a favorite....new running socks helps too!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

You know what is sooo funny..most of my runs I think about what food I will eat when I return..totally keeps me going.

GReat post and reminder to focus on the positives.

Marlene said...

I'm with Mel - food totally does it for me. :)

Stephanie Estridge said...

Hey Nicole! I got your note asking how many miles I put in during the week. Well it depends on the race schedule. But I usually do 3 run a week (outside of the marathons): Speed work day (6-12 miles)
Maintenance day (5-7 miles easier pace)
Tempo Run (5-8 miles at a harder pace).

But, if its before a marathon I do a semi-taper. I won't run 2-3 days before a marathon except maybe a very easy 3. And the week before when I do run its usually at maintenance pace. If I were to do a real taper before all my races I would be in a perpetual taper! LOL. I haven't had a long enough break between races that I've needed to do another long run... but if I do get a break that long I may have an extra long run day in.

Hope that answers your question. If you have any others just let me know!!!

Lisa said...

What motivates me? Mostly it's knowing that each step gets me closer to being done lol. No really, I like that I'm doing something healthy for myself and knowing that every run gets me closer to achieving my goal of running a half marathon next year.

Lindsay said...

i'm usually thinking about what i will eat/drink as soon as i'm done :) sometimes in the winter i start dreaming about my long, hot shower.

Unknown said...

1. Knowing I'll feel more awake and better after I run.
2. Lately, the relatively warm weather for November. Better take advantage of it.
3. The next race, whatever and whenever it may be...
4. Keeping my mileage up for the week.
5. Knowing that it will probably be the only peace and quiet and time to myself and time to think for the next 12-14 hours of the day.
6. Realizing that I may not always have the luxury of having time to run. Our schedule right now has been fairly easy to fit running into.
7. Because running reminds me of a time when there was less responsibility and less burden.
8. Knowing that I can run.

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

I'm always motivated by food and I love being able to say, "I already did X miles this morning." It makes me feel strong!

RunnerGirl said...

Stress relief and a desire for overall fitness motivate me to run. Mainly though, its the thought of all the food I'll eat when I finish :)