Saturday, November 7, 2009

Excuses and Race Day Photos


Today's run was about 8 miles too long.  My head and heart weren't in it....and I thought of a million excuses to turn around and go home.  Among those excuses these were my favorite:

1.  The wind - I started out doing about 3 miles directly into the wind.  I felt like I was moving in slow motion.  Was it even windy today?  I don't know....but it sure felt like it!

2.  The 4:00am wake up call - Thanks to a 4 year old who had a "bad dream" and was found to be feverish.

3.  Returning neuroma pain - No advil and no stops/walk breaks will always bring this pain back.

4.  Post-Marathon fatigue - So this is what that feels like.  Yes, this was a bit of a stretch.

5.  Friday's 30 Day Shred workout....Yes I'm a wimp.  Although my legs were fine, I could feel my shoulders/back tightening up the further I ran.

6.  Maybe I'm coming down with something (see #2).  Is it H1N1's turn at our house?

7.  Too hot - Once I turned away from the wind,  I found I was too hot and thirsty.   

8.  Knee pain??? What's this all about?  It's been bothering me since my first post-marathon run. Icing it made me it feel like I was 80 years old (well, I can imagine).  Great...

Despite the internal struggle in my head....I ended up doing 8.3 miles and felt like I had done about 18.  Ugh...  Thank goodness for a rest day tomorrow!

Something else I've been wondering about....if you buy the official "race day photos", what do you do with them?  There's a couple good shots of me and my sister on the marathon course, but I can't figure out what I'd do with them.  I don't have an office at home and I share my office at work with at least 1-3 other people.  Although my family is very proud of me, I don't think they want to see my face in the dining room, family room or kitchen.  As stated earlier this week....I don't particularly care for myself in photos (especially spandex shorts with an ugly belt up to my boobs)...I wouldn't want to wake up or go to bed looking at a photo of myself!  Perhaps they should just go in a scrap book.  Guess I need to get to work on that!  I haven't printed out photos in 2 years.  That's a whole other issue!  In any case, here's a few of the pics the photographers on the course took.









10 comments:

The CilleyGirl said...

That's such a great picture of you two crossing the finish line! Maybe get one as a gift for a relative you visit often? Or else put it above your scale or on your fridge, to remember why we do these crazy running things.

Lindsay said...

my parents put pics of my running in the living room... i don't see anything wrong with it for yourself! especially if you do one your sis is in with you :)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

My husband did a shadow box style frame with my medal, race number, time and race photo. It is in our living room and everyone who comes to the house comments on how cool they think it is. Just an idea. Can be done pretty inexpensive if you do it yourself.

Jen Feeny said...

I'm totally getting at least the finishers pic from Chicago... mind you it will go in a scrapbook but dang it all... I need to remember that day forever! :) Great pics girl! Sorry you had a rough run, they can't always be glamorous...

Marlene said...

Awesome job getting the run done. This is such a weird time of year where you're hot one second and not the next. I never know how to dress.

Awesome race photos! I bought mine for my first marathon, but haven't really done anything with them besides poting on the blog and putting them on FB.

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Piggy flu stay away!

On another note, great pics! I have my marathon pic framed with my race medal and my bib number. I love it. It's hanging in my bedroom.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I left you some Bloggy link Love today :)

Molly said...

great photos! I've never bought race photos, but I'm waiting for the "reduced price" email from my half marathon back in September, I want to put it on the sidebar of my blog.

Great blog btw!

Independentmami said...

Congratulations. I would get the photos and make a scrapbook. Of course that is coming from another person who doesn't print her pics out either.

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Nicole - Thanks for the bloggy love! I got the socks at Dick's. They came in a three pack with a solid pink, a pink/grey/white stripe and the ones I wore. They had them in several colors. Made by Reebok, they are called "all-sport socks"