Sunday, January 24, 2010

Week 1, Shoes and Skirts...Oh My!

Week 1
This (past) week was officially the first week of training for my spring halfs.  Despite it starting out rocky (up all night with a 2 year old who was puking/dry heaving every 20 minutes) it ended up good.  I was left with a cold....again.  But I'll take that over puking any day!  So training this week was really no different than my other weeks.  Ran 3 days, crossed trained 4 days, total mileage only 18 miles or so.  I'm doing an ever so gradual build up in miles, hopefully to prevent injury!  I feel good and strong and am excited about this training cycle.  I also started reading the Dean Karnazes' book as a way to inspire me during training.  I really liked reading my marathon training book each week when I was training for my first marathon.  I'm not a big reader, so reading one chapter a week is perfect for me!  As an aside to training - I hit my WW "goal" weight this week.  I was able to lose about 11 pounds since January 1st.  Now, I still want to lose about 12 more pounds, but for WW purposes (and cost) I set my goal a bit higher.

Shoes
 It's that time of the year again!  My current Mizunos have about  375 miles on them and I can feel it!  The balls of my feet are staring to hurt.  I hate getting new shoes in the middle of winter....only to have them dirtied by the mud/slush/snow.  But, I want to avoid injury.  I'm heavily considering changing to the Brooks Trance 9's.  These were the shoes that were so cushy when I got my last ones.  I guess there have been some improvements to my current Mizunos, so we'll have to see.

Skirts
Yes, it's true.  The girl who only owns one dress and one skirt (essentially because I never bought any new skirts or dresses after I lost weight) has decided to get a running skirt.  I don't consider myself "girly".  I mean I love the color pink and I like to smell good....but that's about it! After much consideration, it seems like the best of both worlds.  So now, I need recommendations!  I have no idea what to look for in a skirt, but I know I'd be highly annoyed at anything riding up while I was running!  A pocket would be nice, but not necessary.  I'm not in a hurry to get my skirt...seeing as I live in Ohio and although yesterday I ran without gloves or a hat, running weather for skirts and shorts is a long way off!

7 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

www.runningskirts.com ... by far the best. They are the only thing I wear when I run. I have 13. Very true to pant size, look at the size chart and match your size of pants to their skirt sizes.

I am thinking of switching from Asics to Mizunos ... still wavering though. Good luck with the shoes!

Emily said...

I am a big fan of Mizuno's running skirt. It is super comfy, adorable and has a small zip pocket in the back that is perfect for Gus, keys, etc... I also like the New Balance Bonita skirt but no pocket!

Ruthie said...

I have a nike skirt which i love .. I loved it more before I accidently dried it in the dryer and it became much shorter :( ...
I have run in brooks for the past 3 years and love them! :)

cant wait to see what you go with! :)

good luck with your training!

Maureen Lisa said...

Although I can't help you on the skirt request...I'm not a running skirt girl...I can help you with shoes!! Check out RunningCompanyShoes.com. We have the Trance and the new Mizuno's. If you've worn them both you probably know but just an fyi.... the new Wave Inspires are even lighter than previous version other than that not much has changed. Unfortunately we don't have the Nirvana if that is what you were running in. That is comparable to the Trance 9 which we have. Good luck!!

Aimee said...

I've never considered myself to be a girly girl either, but for some reason I am drawn to the running skirt. I have two skirtsports skirts that I love (they're the gymgirl ultra) and a skirtsport marathon girl skirt that I got for free and have yet to wear. The gymgirl ultra has super comfy "shorts" underneath and a nice pouch for your ipod, key, money, etc. Plus, they always have sales and special going on!

chris mcpeake said...

sorry cant help you much with skirt recommendations....lol

sanjeet said...

Good luck with the shoes!
post free classified ads